Thursday, July 12, 2018

REVIEW : Beggars --- The Day I Lost My Head (ROAR! Rock Of Angels Records,August 2018)

BEGGARS is a Greek stoner/alternative band and "The Day I Lost My Head" is entitled its brand new album that is gonna be released through Roar! Rock Of Angels Records this August. To be honest, I have never heard about this band until now that I received the promo for my review at Heavy Paradise.


The band consists of Yannis Passas on vocals/guitars, Chili on bass and Petros Kotsidas on drums and "The Day I Lost My Head" is the band's, already, fifth official album!!! After the very first spin of this new opus, I have to say that I liked it a lot. Okay, maybe this style is not my favorite but, at least, these guys know damn well how to deliver solid and with attitude alternative, or if you prefer stoner rock stuff. The guitars are crunchy, heavy and with big groove, the vocals of Yannis Passas' are strong and down-to-earth and the rhythm section very strong. 

In my ears, they sound like the bastard child of Alice In Chains, Soundgarden and Pearl Jam with a strong 70's dose but, also, with some Motorhead (just check out “Chief Commander 1945-2015”) pinches as well. And, even if I'm a freak of the melodic hard rock/AOR scene, I always liked the above mentioned bands (Pearl Jam was my favorite).  

The songs that impressed me the most were the absolute stunning "The Day I Lost My Head", the psychedelic tune of "Medusa" the rocking "Blind" and, of course, the superb "Chief Commander 1945-2015" that would made Lemmy (R.I.P.) very proud!! 

I don't know if I convinced you about Beggars' newest effort or not; the only thing that I have to add here is that "The Day I Lost y Head" is a damn solid and very well-played record. Well done!!

Rating : 8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment