Monday, November 29, 2010

Interview with Tony Harnell

For sure he is one of the most recognisable voices in the melodic hard rock world. He became famous as a lead singer of the Norwege heavy rock band TNT. His works with the all-star group WESTWORLD and his collaboration with the very talented Magnus Karlsson, in STARBREAKER, are both examples of what Harnell is capable of offering to this music. This year Tony Harnell together with 'THE MERCURY TRAIN'(musicians from outside the hard rock/heavy metal scene) released an album which is probably the most different album in Harnell's discography. Different but the fact is that it is very good! Below you can read the interview that Tony Harnell gave to Heavy Paradise.......
- Firstly, I have to say that it's a great honor for me to have here in Heavy Paradise my rock hero, Tony Harnell!

T.H. : Thank you:)

- So, Tony, you've just came back from a tour with Queen Symphonic in Spain. What are your expressions from these gigs? Can you give us a picture?

T.H. : It was a really great experience with a wonderful Russian orchestra and Spanish Rock band and backing singers. Three other solo singers from Australia, Britain and the U.S. as well. everyone was great and the company that put it together was really awesome to work with. I would do it again in a heartbeat.

- This year you have released a great album. You have covered your own classics with such a great way. The reviews that this album received all over the net are very good. How come you have released an album with re-mixes of your old tunes and didn't come up with new recordings?

T.H. : They are not re-mixes. They are recreations, reinventions of a few songs from my own catalog. It was something that came up as a fluke and I decided to make something special with it. I love the album and am now focused on new music.

- As a singer, you are one of the most recognisible vocalists around the world. Your works are always high quality stuff. I mean that you are releasing an album only when you are ready and sure about it's result and not only to have another record in your discography. What are your motives when yo are about to release an album?

T.H. : My motives in the market today are different than say 10 years ago. I think for me now it's just important to show growth and to please myself and hopefully that will please others:)

- So, lets go back to your TNT days. Do you want to tell me what went wrong and you left from the band?

T.H. : Not really:)

- If you had to pick your favorite TNT album, which would that be and why?

T.H. : My Religion is probably the most complete and best TNT album but Firefly and Transistor are personal favorites for me because of the freedom of expression that was going oin at the time.

- You are an artist that had a major success back then with albums like "Intuition" and "Tell No Tales". Back then was MTV, nowadays is the internet, blogs, sites, facebook and the list goes on and on... So my question is, 'is it easier nowadays for an artist/band to promote it's own music?'

T.H. : Yes I think so. And yet, it's still the big money that gets it out there. So it takes a lot of work to do it on your own but it can be done.

- TNT have a new singer, Tony Mills. My opinion is that Mills was the best choice that the band took after your departure. My only arguement is that the band's first two releases with Mills were far away from the classic TNT sound. What's your opinion about that?

T.H. : I don't listen to their music since I left so I can't comment. I suggested Mills to the band before I departed and I'm glad it worked out for them. TNT in this moment is not really a concern of mine.

- Do you keep in touch with your old band mates from TNT?

T.H. : Not really.

- My last question about TNT! Is there any chance to see you back with TNT?

T.H. : I doubt it very much. It would take a very big change in the environment there to even make it a possibility for me. I have other projects in mind.
- With WESTWORLD you have released three superb melodic hard rock albums. Are there any future plans about releasing a new effort?

T.H. : Possible yes. We've spoken about it:)

- STARBREAKER is another big chapter in your career. A more heavier band but an excellent piece of pure melodic metal bliss! Your chemistry with Magnus Karlsson is obvious. Can you tell me some things about this collaboration and the future of STARBREAKER?

T.H. : The business side of that project is unfortunate, but Magnus is a great guy and a talented guitarist. I don't see it going forward but I would work with Mag on something else.

- From the 'new' bands, is there any that impress you more?

T.H. : Alterbridge is one of the great ones, but I don't keep up as much as I used to. I actually listen to a lot of different things. Not really a hard rock enthusiast as much as I was when I was young. And I still think the older bands have already done everything better anyway:)

- Which are Tony Harnell's influences?

T.H.: ...Honestly, too many to list, but a few are McCartney, Mercury, Plant, Halford, Perry, Cornell and of course, The Beatles, Queen and all the big great artists of the past 40 plus years.

- What was the most difficult period of your career?

T.H. : 2005 and last year.

- When you perform live some old TNT tunes, what are the reactions of the crowd?

T.H. : very positive. They grew up with the songs so they love to hear them, and new fans love them too cause their good songs :)

- What are your future plans?

T.H. : Just to keep writing and singing and performing in various elements, exploring new worlds musically and have fun!

- Thanx a lot Tony for this interview and hopefully to see you someday to perform live here in Greece!

T.H. : Me too!! Cheers!

You can visit Tony Harnell : http://www.myspace.com/tonyharnellonline , http://www.tonyharnell.com/ , http://www.facebook.com/pages/Tony-Harnell/11007457037




No comments:

Post a Comment