Friday, October 8, 2010

Angra / Aqua (2010)

First of all, I have to say that I was never a big Angra's fan. On the other hand, I own the band's 'Fireworks' and 'Rebirth' (their first with E. Falaschi on lead vocals), which are both very good albums. So, when I first bought this release and put it to the cd player, I was amazed of how good this album is.

'Aqua' is a concept album. It's all about the story of Shakespeare's play "The Tempest". The songwritting is tight and there is a perfect balance between the strong melodies and the more heavier elements. Falaschi's vocals are superb and he is singing his heart out in this one. Passionate and strong vocals perfectly balanced with the music! The duo of Kiko Loureiro and  Rafael Bittencourt on guitars is offering some really inspired solos and riffs. I think that the word -inspired- fits pefectly to this album! And even if power/prog. metal isn't my strongest point, I have to admit that this album grabbed me from its very first listening!

Songs such as the 'speedy' "Arising Thunder" and "Awake From Darkness", which are both superb, "Lease Of Life" and the excellent tune of "Ashes", which shows the wonderfull voice of Edu Falaschi's are all some fine examples of well played power/prog. metal. A very interesting release!
HeavyParadise's Rating: 8/10
 Track list:

1. Viderunt Te Aquæ 2. Arising Thunder 3. Awake From Darkness 4. Lease Of Life 5. The Rage Of The Waters 6. Spirit Of The Air 7. Hollow 8. Monster In Her Eyes 9. Weakness Of A Man 10. Ashes


1 comment:

  1. Agree ! Nice release :)
    Weakness Of A Man, Arising Thunder and Awake From Darkness are my three favorite songs for the moment :) I've never been a fan of ANGRA, this is my first opus of them ...

    ReplyDelete