Friday, October 19, 2018

REVIEW : FIRMO --- REHAB (Street Symphonies Records,October 2018)

Gianluca Firmo is an Italian songwriter/singer and "Rehab" is entitled his debut opus that is gonna be released through Street Symphonies Records & Burning Minds Music Group. The name Gianluca Firmo is well-known among the fans of the Euro melodic rock sound. He made its appearance in Room Experience's album in 2015 (fronted by rock star vocalist David Readman).


For "Rehab" Firmo achieved to gather some well-known musicians such as Paul Laine, Davide "Dave Rox" Barbieri, Stefano Zeni, Mattia "Noise Maker" Tedesco and Mario Percudani to name a few. For this debut Gianluca says : "Beside the fact that it allows me to sing my own songs, this record for me is both a test and an achievement. A test because It’s the first time that I’m in charge for everything concerning the production of a record. And it is an achievement because I had the chance to work shoulder to shoulder in the studio with some amazing musicians, but also the luck to find a label that allowed me (and supported me) to work with no artistic boundaries and even make some unusual choices to follow my different musical influences and tastes. 
I feel the result is very personal and though it’s far from being perfect, it sure is my perfect rehab from being put in any frame. And as today I couldn’t be happier than this".   


The album kicks-off with the edgy melodic rock tune of "A Place For Judgement Day". This is a great start not only 'cause it's among my personal favorite songs but, also, 'cause it's a great sample of what's to expect from Firmo next. "Heart Of Stone" reminded me a bit of Bon Jovi's latest works while in "Maybe Forever" we have yet another amazing track out of "Rehab". An ultra melodic, brilliant AOR tune that includes a chorus line to die for.  "No Prisoners", "Unbreakable" and "Don't Dare It To Call It Love" are all three solid samples of Firmo's music. Sometimes edgier, sometimes more melodic but all three are songs that will make your day, that's sure!! Another highlight out of the debut is the beautiful ballad of "Until Forever Comes". That one is another song that brings in my mind some cool Bon Jovi tunes (if you know what I mean). 

All in all, this is an excellent release all the way. Gianluca Firmo with "Rehab"comes to prove that the Italian melodic rock/AOR scene is a fast growing scene that includes some excellent musicians in it. "Rehab" is an album that if you love the classic AOR stuff, with some U.S. melodic rock elements, grab it at any cost!!! 

Rating : 8,8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment