Sunday, May 7, 2017

REVIEW : Mark Slaughter -- Halfway There (2017)

One of the most characteristic voices back in the glorious late 80's, early, 90's, U.S. hard rock scene was without any doubt Mark Slaughter! With his main band Slaughter achieved to release some gems that stood in the test of time as classics. Do you remember the hit "Up All Night" (that reached No 21 on the Billboard Mainstream Rock chart and No. 27 on the Billboard Hot 100 chart)? I'm sure that you all remember this and the other great tracks such as "Spend My Life", "Fly To The Angels", "Mad About You", "Days Gone By" e.t.c.

Nowadays, this legendary shouter is back with his brand new solo album which is entitled "Halfway There" and he is guaranteed to 'travel' us with his powerful and so characteristic voice. Mark says a few things about this new record : "The record is basically.. I spend a lot of time writing songs and things just grow out of me.. Ill be woken up in the middle of the night from nowhere and the song’s just in my head and I just exorcize the demons and there you have it. I guess what it is is, an artist makes art. And I’ve really come to the fact that since we haven’t made a Slaughter record in so long, it’s one of those things that I still have to make the art. That’s what I do. That’s what I love to do, and that’s what I’ll continue to do.

The album kicks-off with the Slaughter influenced tune of "Hey You". This is one of those tracks that recalls Mark's main band sound and vibe. His voice is still powerful and the sound here grabs you at once and leaves you hungry more (and hungry for a new Slaughter album). "Devoted" is heavier, more complex and modern but I like it. With "Halfway There" Mark delivers a killer and powerful ballad. I love the vocals here and the late 80's vibe. "Forevermore" is yet another highlight out of the new opus. A totally Slaughter song that will be loved by each and every fan of this legendary band, that's for sure!! "Turn It" features a great guitar work, Mark's groovier vocals and a catchy hook and chorus.

Mark Slaughter with this new album, "Halfway There", says 'hey I'm still here and I'm ready to rock your world' . This is a hell of a record that includes all the magic from a golden era in it plus a more modern n' fresh approach that at the end will leave you hungry for more!!

Rating : 9 / 10





No comments:

Post a Comment