Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Michael Bormann's interview by HEAVY PARADISE!

Michael Bormann is well known as the ex-lead singer of Jaded Heart. He was, also, involved in several projects/bands during his carreer. The albums that has released with Rain, Redrum, Charade e.t.c. are all fine examples of what this artist is capable of doing! He has a very charismatic voice and every single effort he is releasing is welcomed by his fans across the world! As a solo artist he has released three very good efforts. This year he is about to release his brand new cd which is titled 'Different'.

Above you are going to read some really interesting things that Michael Bormann said to Heavy Paradise about his new album, the Jaded Heart days and his future plans.
Enjoy!
-Hello Michael! It's a great honor to have Michael Bormann here in Heavy Paradise for this interview! "Different" is your brand new studio album. From the samples that I've heard, it sounds great (as always). Can you tell me a few words about the creation of your new release?

M.B.: Well, for the first time in my life I was mot recording, producing a record in the typical 6 weeks. It took me about 1,5 years to finally accomplish this mission. I was kinda burned out and I didn't feel like hanging around in the studio. Actually I couldn't find fun in nothing...But all in all I didn't need no longer than 6-8 weeks, when you put the time together...The songwritting-process was indeed a little different.
For instance I used songs (think twice, mr. Rock n' roll), that I wrote for other people, or I worked something out (Life is a miracle) , that wasn't planned for this release...And I changed my mind languagewise (was mir fehlt). I never thought, that I'd ever use a German title on my records...I didn't focus on releasing another typical melodic rock-album. I wanted to be a little different ;-). But of course not upside down. Just wanted to write great songs, maybe more radiostuff...

-Allow me to go back to your Jaded Heart days. With this band you have released some really great albums. In my book, all of them are classics! For most of the fans, it seemed that this band would last forever with you as the lead singer. What went wrong? Do you want to tell me something about that?

M.B. :I guess, nothing lasts forever, haha...I can't really tell you a particular reason, but I sure know that I was not willing to go on like we did for 14 years. I had enough of paying to play....And to be honest, JH was kinda over for me, when Chris Ivo left the band in 2001. That's basicaly when the downfall started. So I guess, one led to another...

-With your departure, it has been a big change to the Jaded Heart sound. The guys followed a more heavy sound. How do you see the after Bormann Jaded Heart era?

M.B. : Actually there is no JH era....They damaged the great reputation, that the band had. Please let's not forget. that JH was my music! And in the end of course a bit of Barish! But let's leave the church in the village, as we Germans say...;-) ha ha ha ha....Sorry to say, but now there's not even one songwritter in the band. And you see what happens, when five cooks try to salt a soup ;-)...

-The big question in every Bormann fan is whether is a chance to see Bormann back to jaded Heart again in the near future?

M.B. : NOPE! Chris Ivo is back with me in my Michael Bormann band. And to be honest, I wouldn't have a problem with Barish either, but that's something else. But for the others....no way! But, you can listen to the real thing, when I'm on tour in 2011 ;-) Of course I will play some of my old JH-songs.
-If you had to choose an album from the entire Jaded Heart discography, which would that be and why?

M.B. : Definately "IV" ! This was the greatest thing for JH. Recording in America. Being there together as a band for 7 weeks. That was and still is unbeatable. For me it was the very first time, not being the technician and producer. I just had to sing. So I really had the time of my life! Miss that!

-You have participated in many projects during the years. Which of them has a special 'value' for you?

M.B. : I would say RAIN. It all began as a simple studio job. Now, 13 years later we're still the best friends. Btw., I just came back from Oslo, haha. The same will probably happen to the guys from REDRUM, my greek buddies.

-What about the Redrum? You have released an excellent melodic hard rock album 3 years ago. Are we going to have a new Redrum album?

M.B. : Oh yes, album number two will be finished soon. The basics were already recorded last year (2009). Now I have the time to finish that thing. Guess in a few weeks we can start mixing. So, in 2011 the world will have another REDRUM-album, ha h ha...

-How do you see the hard rock scene of today? I'm asking you that 'cause there is a big 'movement' from the older bands that are releasing new albums but, also, there is the new generation of the melodic hard rock with acts such as H.E.A.T., White Widdow, Crazy Lixx and many others.

M.B. : Unfortunately I don't see any improvement for this gerne. There's no support fromthe media, TV, radio....But it's great to at least we have a scene. We're not in the 80's anymore. I really miss those days. Nowadays you don't hear rocksongs on the radio...ok, maybe bon jovi, but that's not rock anymore....We don't even have rockclubs...Damn....

-From the new melodic rock bands, is there any that interests you?

M.B. : To be honest, not really. But that is only, because I'm kinda married with the music, haha. After a day of 10-14 hours in the studio, you don't wanna listen to some other music anymore...So, I just don't have the time for it....Have no clue what's hip or not...It's a shame, but that's life;-)
-What are your influences?

M.B. : I grew up with Elvis, The Beatles and the rest of the 60's....That influenced me the most. That's probably why I use so much harmony-singing. This is something, that I really miss nowadays. It's all about sound, craziness and stuff. You don't even need to be able to sing...It's a pity. When my friends listened to Kiss in the early days, I was more the Foreigner kinda guy...For me it was all about songwritting, great vocalists and stuff...not the showmakers.

-I read in your site that you were searchin' for a live band! Any latest news about this?

M.B. : Oh yes, I have my band pretty mush together and I'm happy. After some thinking I came to the conclusion, to not look for just a tourband. It makes no sense to start over and over with new musicians. You need to grow as a band. I have a real good feeling now and I'm looking forward to the gigs in 2011. We're also working on some shows in Greece. Maybe Athens and Thessaloniki. Would be fantastic. I only played with REDRUM in Greece, but it's time to bring my ass over with my own music... ...

-What are your future plans?

M.B. : I just finished the ASSIGNMENT-project. A rock-opera with also Robin Beck, Mats Leven and Carsten Kaiser on the microphone. REDRUM is the actual production, before I'll start to sing another metal-project, called HEAVENWARD. Andreas Rippelmeier (git.) and Guido Gallus (drums) from HW are in my MB-band now. Last year the other two members Marco Grasshoff (keys) and Oli Muller (bass) were in ;-). I know the guys very well and they are great musicians. Besides from those projects I always produce other bands from all over the Europe .

-I would like to thank you for accepting my initation for this interview and I would like you to leave a message to your fans..

M.B. : I have to thank you Vassilis. I really hope to see my Greek friends, family and fans as soon as possible in Greece. After so many years on Rhodes, Athens and Thessaloniki I really consider Greece as my second home. I just love the Greek mentality. Ok, most of it, hahahaha ;-) ya know;-)

3 comments:

  1. the new "Michael Bormann CD called Different," is killer!!! bought mine at U.S. Store Nehrecords.com every song is excellent!!! interesting Michael Bormann interview!!!

    Barry
    Ft. Lauderdale, Florida

    ReplyDelete
  2. my favorite singer in the world is Michael Bormann! can't go wrong with any of his solo CD's, all four are just totally loaded with awesome music!

    John- New York

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep, he is a very good singer and every single album from Bormann is a BIG must have!

    ReplyDelete