Monday, July 30, 2012

INTERVIEW WITH XANDER DEMOS

Xander Demos is a high-energy rock and metal guitar player from Pittsburgh, PA. He currently fronts his own solo band, as well as playing lead guitar for Pittsburgh’s favorite party rock outfit, Into The Arena




Xander performs in excess of 100 times a year, and he is active in recording collaborations with artists from all over the world. Xander’s style ranges from the beautifully melodic to the jaw-droppingly insane. His playing encompasses much of what he has learned and absorbed from other players over the years. One constant in his music is a focus on strong guitar melodies. 

Xander Demos has been making quite the name for himself and his solo band by appearing as support for acts like Adrenaline Mob, Buckethead, UFO, Lizzy Borden, Kip Winger, Neil Zaza and Dio DisciplesXander Demos recently joined James Rivera’s Sabbath Judas Sabbath tribute band, which will tour on the east coast of the US this year.

Below you are going to read the interview that Xander gave to me and talked about his new album, CJ Snare, his influences and some other cool stuff, enjoy!!



Heavy Paradise : Hello and welcome to Heavy Paradise for this interview!

Xander : Hello there and thank you for having me!

Heavy Paradise : Firstly, can you tell to our readers some things about who is Xander Demos?

Xander: Oh man, I would have easily resorted to a movie quote or two but I'll just do it the right way :) Anyway I hail from Pittsbourgh, PA in the USA and I am a guitar player with a mission to write catchy songs   using a very simple delivery method of having things be melodic first and foremost. I think I get branded as a heavy metal player but my roots go back to AOR/ stadium rock and things like that.

Heavy Paradise : A new album, "Guitarcadia" is on its way. What should we expect to hear from this release, Xander?

Xander : Well, it's basically a re-release of guitarcadia under the ROCK N' GROWL record label out of Germany. There will, however, be a twist or two added in there. I don't want to release any details but if you have heard the first release of this , it's almost the same. On the other hand, if you haven't heard it yet, it's basically an instrumental album with a few vocal tracks in there for good measure.

Heavy Paradise : How so and you decided to release an instrumental album instead of putting some vocals?

Xander : Well, I have always been more of an instrumental guitar fan but as I stated before, I come from a background of vocal-oriented music so I added a couple of those tunes in there. The SHRAPNEL-era alumni had a big hand in shaping my playing style so I wanted to put my own thing out there that focused on catchy melodies along with some high-energy guitar. The next album will be more on the vocal side than "Guitarcadia"-probably 50/50 split.

Heavy Paradise : What are your expectations from this release?

Xander : Well, so far, the indie release has been doing alright; but I am hoping to get out there and do some touring to support it. I am so happy that the reviews in the short run have been very positive. Overall, I just want to reach as many people that want to listen sounds a little cliched, but I love putting music out there so I hope that some other people accept what I do.

Heavy Paradise : I've noticed that CJ Snare, of Firehouse, is responsible for the mixing of the "Guitarcadia". How did it come up this collaboration with CJ Snare?

Xander : had become friends with CJ sometime ago on Facebook. And then one day in February 2011 he put up a post about offering his mixing services so I contacted him by sending him a message, he sent me his phone number and that was it. We connected and started chatting about the project. I sent him the Pro Tools session of Right Angles and we took it from there. I knew he had the right touch for what I needed. His ear for the type of stuff I do is exactly what I needed. I want him to do the follow-up as well!


Heavy Paradise : What are your influences?

Xander : Guitar-wise, I would say SHAWN LANE, MICHAEL ROMEO, ERIC JOHNSON, STEVE VAI, NEAL SCHON, GUTHRIE GOVAN, TONY MACALPINE, JOHN SYKES and JASON BECKER. Musically I am all over the place. I have a huge passion for movie score composers like HOWARD SHORE, STEVE JABLONSKY, HANS ZIMMER and JAMES HORNER. I also like all kinds of pop as well as AOR and CLASSIC METAL. I think all of this stuff has shaped my playing and songwriting over the years.

Heavy Paradise : The video for "Right Angels" has more than 90.000 hits!! Really impressive and, most impressive, are your skills!! Are you going to release another video to promote your new album?


Xander : Thank you for that compliment! I just did a video for explaining some of the licks in that song. I have to edit it and get it published. I actually just did a video for "WHITE KNUCKLE DRIVING" and posted earlier this month. (Here is the link : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mE0uFRDEy8 ).

Heavy Paradise : You participate also in Sabbath Judas Sabbath project. Can you tell me a few things about this one?

Xander : My good friend (and fellow shredder in Pittsburgh) BILL STALEY knew JAMES RIVERA from when they lived in Houston and kept in touch over the years. Bill invited me on the project and we really have a good thing going on! We have been practicing for about 6 months and we are sounding pretty good so we're all pretty excited. Our first show is August 24th at RIPPER'S TAP HOUSE in AKRON, OH. We come back to Pittsbourgh and play the ALTAR BAR on the 25th. My solo band will be opening both shows.

Heavy Paradise : So Xander, what are your future plans?

Xander : I continue to still participate in SABBATH JUDAS SABBATH and get my solo band re-organized to get out there towards the end of the year. Also, I have been writing like crazy for a new solo album to be released sometime next year. I also want to record for other people as well and stretch my abilities.

Heavy Paradise : Is there anything else that you wanna share with your fans?

Xander : I would like to say a big thank you for purchasing "Guitarcadia" and helping out the furry friends (I donate $ 1.00 for each copy sold to the ASPCA). And thanks to all of the friends and fans on Facebook. 

Heavy Paradise : At this point I have to thank you for this interview and to wish all the best for your future plans!

Xander : Thank you so much for taking the time to interview me - I truly appreciate it!

You can read the review of "GUITARCADIA" HERE


No comments:

Post a Comment